Rockville lies in the southeastern portion of the county, and embraces township 123 north, range 29 west. It has an area of 23,040 acres. The surface is undulating. Sauk River flows in a northeasterly direction across the northwest portion of the town, to the west of which lies a strip of prairie. Mill Creek enters the township from the south, and joins Sauk River at the village of Rockville. In the center of the township, and along Mill Creek, the primary, or granitic, formation appears in place, and from this fact, the town derives its name. There are a large number of lakes in this town the largest of which is Grand Lake, a beautiful sheet of water, lying in the southern portion of the township. The next in size is Pleasant Lake, lying in the northeast corner.
In the fall of 1854 William Capple and a companion named Mack explored this region and to them the lakes of the town are indebted for their names. Mr. Capple claimed what is now the Michael Reiter farm and Mack claimed the present Michael Lapinski farm. Mack died the following year and lies buried on his claim. In the spring of 1855 William Decker, Christ Palinch, David Spicer, Hiram Taylor, Peter Kaiser, John R. Weaver and Nicholas Kirsh each claimed a quarter section in this township. David H. Spicer claimed the quarter section on which the village now stands. In the fall of the same year Michael Hansen and his son, Pierre, came here from Illinois, and with them was Mathias Ahles. By 1860 all the land available for agricultural purposes had been taken up.
The territory embraced in this town was a part of Maine Prairie until 1860, when Rockville was organized, and the first election held at the residence of M. Hansen, Sr, on June 25. The first officers elected were: Supervisors, M. Hansen, Sr. (chairman), Nicholas Kirsch and John Harren; clerk, D. H. Spicer; assessor, William Pecker; and justice of the peace, A. Smith.
Click on one of the following links to learn more about Rockville!